[sas-announce] Sunday 14th January No Sweat Gathering

Heather Shaw centre_stage_red at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 19:33:43 GMT 2007

How do we get a radical, campaigning student movement

A day of political discussion, training and planning for student
activists
called by Education Not for Sale, No Sweat and Students Against
Sweatshops.
Come and join other student activists to discuss how can we argue for,
organise for and campaign for radical ideas in the student movement.

11.30-3.30pm, TGWU Transport House, Theobalds Road, Holborn, London

Sessions will include:

- International workers' solidarity: speakers include *Amrah Johnson,
from
United Students Against Sweatshops in San Francisco* talking about her
recent visit to the Kenyan labour movement
- Grants for all vs means-tested grants, and the politics of "Tax the
rich"
- The Radical Students Network introduces itself
- How to organise an occupation and direct actions, with the Radical
Students Network and Cambridge ENS
- Planning session for No Sweat's anti-sweatshop week of action on
campuses,
12-18 February
- Building and spreading living wage campaigns: speakers about living
wage
campaigns at universities around the country
- Building a left challenge in NUS
- Planning session for Feminist Fightback abortion rights march on 3
March
(women-only)
- Solidarity with students and workers in Iran

For more information email me at sofie.buckland at nus.org.uk or ring
07815
490 837

*All welcome*

"Years ago I recognised my kinship with living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free"
Eugene Debs, US Presidential Candidate 1920

www.redheff.livejournal.com