[Scotia] What do you think of the new citizenship test?

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Tue Oct 11 15:50:33 BST 2005

Hi all

(Please forward this to anyone you think would be interested. Also, could
someone in NRC forward this to your own list? Currently the Scotia list isn't
working for you!)

This is a quick e-mail to introduce you to the 'Active Learning for Active
Citizenship South Yorkshire' website.  What with Scotia Works being a Centre
for Development and Citizenship, I thought people might be interested!

www.alacsy.org.uk

Here's a link about ALACSY -

http://www.alacsy.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=50&Itemid=69

 - but as a way of introducing you to the site, I thought we might have a look
at the new citizenship test.  Some links to info about it here:

http://www.alacsy.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=66

(If you can't follow links in your e-mail client, it's in the latest news
section of the site.)

The tests are to be carried out through learndirect centres nationally, and have
questions based on a 150-page book for prospective British citizens called
'Life in the United Kingdom'. Some of the things in this book are quite
curious! The article includes a link to some quotes in the Guardian.  I'm
particularly fond of the book's take on the positive benefits of the British
Empire.

So! What do you think? As well as taking a vote in the poll (just so we can
discover what a bunch of Guardian reading sandal-wearing tofu-knitting liberals
we all really are), you can comment on the forum...

How to comment on the forum? At the bottom of the article, there's a link to the
forum topic, where I've started a discussion.

I would be chuffed to bits to get feedback from people of your experience and
calibre!  If you have a chance, would you be so kind as to write your thoughts
on the matter?

You can post to the forum without registering on the site, and so feel free to
use pseudonyms if you don't want your name attached to your opinion! Just
follow the link at the bottom of the article, and reply...

Having said that, registering has benefits. Register with the site either
through the front page, or go to

http://www.alacsy.org.uk/index.php?option=com_registration&task=register

Why register? For a start, it will give you the option of watching any forum for
new posts: After you've logged in, and you're looking at a particular topic,
you'll see a 'subscribe to this topic' link in the bottom left of the forum. If
you're subscribed, you'll be e-mailed when anyone adds a comment.

This is particularly useful if you've posted a topic, and want to know when
someone has added something to it.

The rest of the forum is fairly self-explanatory: click 'reply' to write another
comment. Click 'post a new topic' if there's a subject you want to talk about.

This is just a starting topic. Please feel free to post new topics, and tell
people when you have.  And let me know if you want any help using the site.

Also: if you register, you can post events that you think might be relevant, and
if anyone in the building feels they want to add any other content, like news,
let me know: I'll come and run through using the site with you.  (News can be
added easily from the front end.)

OK - I look forward to reading people's views on the matter...

Bye for now,

Dan