[sheffield-hacklab] Public web stations

Alan Dawson aland at burngreave.net
Wed Oct 5 13:21:11 BST 2005

Quoting flg <fakelondongenius at yahoo.com>:

> Hi

Hi ..
> I haven't drawn many conclusions so far but having visited the hacklab
> recently and having done a little research in this area for work purposes
> I hope to experiment with installing some small footprint Linuxes in the
> hacklab such as:
>
> http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

Nice plan.

The majority of the PC's are running Ubuntu.  1 has SUSE, 1 has mandrake ( i
think ), 1 has Dynebolic ( its the one with the soundcard but had its dyne CD
go missing -  I'll try and remember to replace this ).  It might be better to
take an Ubuntu PC ( as there are more of these) if you wish to rebuild some
with another distro.

1 of the Ubuntu's has a 400Mhz and 9GB Disk drive ( i think).  The approx specs
are written on the base units. So you can work out which.

> These small distros typically take up about 50MB space so they can run
> completely in RAM and might prove a more effective distro on those
> machines that are currently struggling with Ubuntu/Mandrake etc.

One of the reasons to run Ubuntu is the availability of installation media and
size of the user community.  As part of a general Linux conciousness raising
and installing process, we can press CD's in peoples hands and/or help them
install, whilst they get to see and use a similar desktop in the hacklab.

AED
--
"If you make decisions about software -- or anything -- based solely on
short-term cost and benefit, someone with a longer view can easily