[sheffield-noborders] FREE performances of Asylum Monologues in 12 UK cities, including Sheffield on June 21 - please help us spread the word!

Actors for Refugees actors_for_refugees at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 26 18:58:45 BST 2007

Hello,

 I am forwarding you the e-flyer for our series of  events on June 21, as part of Refugee Week. There is also some plain  text info, as some email accounts will not display images. If you could  forward the email below to your contacts in Sheffield and around the UK  - and ask them to forward it to their contacts, that would be really  helpful. As we don't have a publicity budget, email networks are the  best way to spread the word! Hope to see you at one of the shows.

    With thanks,

    Christine Bacon
    Director
    Actors for Refugees

  ---

      FREE performances of Asylum  Monologues in 12 UK cities on June  21
      Ice and Fire theatre and the new national network Actors for Refugees will  stage Asylum Monologues in 12 different UK  cities on June   21 2007, to coincide with Refugee Week,  a UK-wide programme of arts, cultural and educational events that celebrate the  contribution of refugees to the UK,  and encourage a better understanding between communities. The series of events  are being organised in conjunction with UNHCR, the United Nations  refugee agency, Refugee Action, a national refugee support charity, and  numerous other agencies and organisations throughout the UK  which are campaigning on refugee/asylum issues.

      Asylum Monologues is an account of the UK  asylum system told first-hand in the words of the people who have  experienced it. Scripted by award-winning playwright and Artistic  Director of Ice and Fire theatre, Sonja Linden, it is an important and powerful work.

      Actors for Refugees, a network of professional  actors dedicated to drawing public attention to the harsh realities faced  by individuals who come to the UK  to seek refuge, has been touring Asylum Monologues around the country  since it was launched at Amnesty International in June 2006 and has reached  over 4000 people so far. It is presented as a  rehearsed reading with live music and features different guest actors and  musicians.

      The  12 cities are: London, Liverpool, Leicester, Manchester, Leeds, Halifax, Exeter, Sheffield, Norwich, Swansea, Nottingham and Glasgow. There will  also be a performance in Guildford on June 20.

      For  time and venue details, see:
  www.iceandfire.co.uk/actorsforrefugees/asylum_monologues_june21.htm

If you                     can't read this message, please go to: www.iceandfire.co.uk/actorsforrefugees/asylum_monologues_june21.htm

                                  'This  is the thing that the British people don't understand. They think we  came here just because we want to live here. We fled our countries  because there are problems. That's why we came here.'                                  Asylum  Monologues is an account of the UK's asylum system, told first hand by  the people who have experienced it. More info at www.iceandfire.co.uk/actorsforrefugees
                    *Unless otherwise                     stated, there are no bookings required
                                                      Thursday                     June 21 2007. 12 UK cities from Glasgow to Exeter. ONE NIGHT                     ONLY.
                    Venues
                    London
                    8.30pm. The Maria, Young Vic, 66 The Cut, Waterloo, London                     SE1 8LZ
Bookings required: email actors_for_refugees at yahoo.co.uk
                    7.45pm. Watermans Arts Centre, 40                     High Street, Brentford TW8 0DS
Tel: 020 8232 1010
Map:                     Click here
                    Halifax
                    7pm. Square Chapel Centre for the Arts, 10 Square Road,                     Halifax HX1 1QG
Tel: 01422 353073
Map: Click                     here
                    Glasgow
                    7pm. Gilmorehill G12, 9 University                     Avenue, Glasgow G12 8QQ
Tel 0141 330 3838
                    Leicester
                    7pm. The Cathedral Church of St Martin, Leicester. St                     Martins, East. Leicester, LE1 5FX
Tel: 0116 2487404
                    Liverpool
                    6:30 for 6:45. Metropolitan Cathedral Crypt Concert Hall                     (entrance on Brownlow Hill), L3 5TQ
Tel: 0151 702 6313
                    Norwich
                    7:30pm. Norwich Puppet Theatre, St James, Whitefriars,                     Norwich, Norfolk, NR3 1TN
Tel: 01603 610993
Map: Click                     here
                    Nottingham
                    6:45 for 7pm. The Vine Community Centre, Bobbersmill Road,                     Hyson Green, Nottingham, NG7 5GZ
Tel: 01159415952
                    Swansea
                    6:45 for 7pm. Swansea Museum, Victoria Road, The Maritime                     Quarter, Swansea, SA1 1SN
Tel: 01792 653763
                    Manchester
                    7pm. Central Hall, Oldham Street, Manchester, M1                     1JQ
Map: Click                     here
                    Exeter
                    8pm. Phoenix Arts Centre, Bradninch Place, Gandy St,                     Exeter, EX4 3LS
Tel: 01392 361021
Map: Click                     here
                    Leeds
                    7pm for 7:15pm. Oxford Place Methodist Centre, Oxford                     Place, Leeds, LS1 3AX
Tel: 0113 268 1663
Map: Click                     here
                    Sheffield
                    1pm. The Long Bar, Crucible Theatre, Sheffield Theatres, 55                     Norfolk Street, Sheffield, S1 1DA
Tel: 07913513567
Map:                     Click                     here

Christine Bacon
Director
Actors for Refugees

c/-iceandfire Theatre