[sheffield-noborders] Details announced - National Demonstration Against Trump

Stop the War Coalition office at stopwar.org.uk
Thu May 31 15:49:45 UTC 2018

View this email in your browser (https://mailchi.mp/stopwar.org.uk/details-announced-national-demonstration-against-trump?e=7c1a6be53c)

** Newsletter - 31 May 2018
Details announced - National Demonstration Against Trump (https://www.facebook.com/events/176581893155207/)

The Together Against Trump national demonstration has now been called for Friday 13th July, the day Trump visits Britain, starting at 2pm at the BBC in Portland Place and marching to Central London.

Given the worldwide outrage at Donald Trump's aggressive, chauvinistic and belligerent policies, this is a crucial demonstration. We are urging all our supporters to take half a day off work to make sure they come to the demonstration. Please promote the demo as widely as possible. We are asking our groups and supporters across the country to organise transport to the national demonstration.

https://www.facebook.com/events/176581893155207/
Join the national anti-war tour

This week begins Stop the War's national tour "No to Trump, No to War" in advance of Trump's visit. The series of meetings across the country will open up the argument about British foreign policy: against endless "bombing for peace", against the "special relationship" with the US, for a civilised and cooperative approach to resolving international problems. The anti-war movement is going to have a central role in helping to bring about this epochal shift.

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/national-events/3027-may-july-2018-nationwide-no-to-trump-no-to-war-tour
The tour stops so far include: Birmingham (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3039-27-june-birmingham-war-the-special-relationship-no-to-trump-s-visit) • Bristol (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3029-13-june-bristol-war-the-special-relationship-no-to-trump-s-visit) • Hastings (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3040-05-july-hastings-no-to-trump-no-to-war) • Merseyside (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3030-16-june-merseyside) • Newcastle (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/2832-03-feb-newcastle-why-we-need-an-anti-war-government) • North London (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3031-26-june-north-london-no-to-trump-s-visit-no-to-war) • Norwich (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3034-26-june-norwich-no-to-trump-no-to-war) • Wakefield
(http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3042-20-june-wakefield-no-to-trump-no-to-war) • Wandsworth (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3037-19-june-wandsworth-no-to-war-no-to-trump) • West London (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3041-19-june-west-london-no-to-trump-no-to-war) • Whitstable (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3022-05-june-whitstable-no-to-trump-no-to-war)  • York (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/events/local-stop-the-war-events/3036-07-june-york-university-no-to-trump-s-visit-no-to-war) .
The speakers on the tour will include (among many others):

Brian Eno is a musician, author and StWC President. He did pioneering work in ambient music and was described by The Guardian as "the legendary musician/producer/thinker/renaissance man".

Lowkey, musician and activist, is a leading political voice in British hip-hop. His anti-war album Soundtrack to the Struggle reached the #1 spot on the iTunes HipHop chart.

Lindsey German is the convenor of the Stop the War Coalition and one of its founders. She is the author of a number of books, including How a Century of War Changed the Lives of Women (2013).
Chris Williamson MP, a long-time campaigner for various progressive causes, is the MP for Derby North and was formerly Shadow Fire Minister.

Emma Dent Coad MP is a Labour MP for Kensington.

Mark Serwotka is the general secretary of the PCS union.

Rachel Maskell MP is a Labour MP for York Central.

Chris Nineham is the vice chair of Stop the War Coalition and the author of a number of books, including How the Establishment Lost Control (2017).

John Rees is a national officer and a founding member of the Stop the War Coalition. He is the author of a number of books including Imperialism and Resistance (2010).

Giles Fraser is a priest, writer and Guardian journalist.

Amelia Womack is the Deputy Leader of the Green Party of England and Wales.

Huda Elmi is a prominent Young Labour and Momentum activist.

The age of Trump is an age of turmoil and spiraling international conflicts. The news that the UK government is planning to send 400 extra troops to Afghanistan at the Donald Trump' behest highlights the need to break with the "special relationship". Please help us promote the national anti-war tour to build opposition to this murderous alliance. Write to us at office at stopwar.org.uk if you would like to organise a meeting in your area and please do some petitioning (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/resources/petitions/2961-trump-may-no-more-attacks-on-syria) to help spread the anti-war message.
Stop the War rejects Jonathan Arkush's accusations

Stop the War has issued a statement rejecting the defamatory and cynical accusations of antisemitism published in today's Daily Telegraph. You can read it here (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news-comment/3047-stop-the-war-rejects-johnathan-arkush-s-accusations) .
Join and donate to our mass anti-war network

May and Trump are determined to continue their policy of endless war, savage bombing and military escalation. In these circumstances Stop the War needs to strengthen its campaign against our government's belligerent foreign policy and seize the opportunity to build a stronger movement for peace and justice.

We also need to intensify our anti-war campaign ahead of Trump's visit so we are asking for your generous help to make this possible.

There has never been a more important time to support the anti-war movement.
Donate to Stop the War here.
Donate (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/get-involved/make-a-donation)
Become a member here.
Join (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/get-involved/join-stop-the-war)
Help spread the anti-war message!

The data protection law has meant we have had to refresh our mailing list. We need your help so we can expand the reach of the anti-war message, which is essential to building mass opposition to war. Please invite your friends to join our mailing list. They can do so here (http://www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/get-involved/subscribe-to-our-email-list) .

** (https://twitter.com/STWuk)
** (https://www.facebook.com/stopthewarcoalition)
** (http://www.stopwar.org.uk)
** (https://www.instagram.com/stwuk/)