[SSC] Meeting notes 29th March 2011. Important request!!

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Fri Apr 1 07:59:35 UTC 2011

One more thing:

The thorny issue of selection criteria was raised in our meeting with
Charles yesterday and he thought that we should reconsider our 'first
come first served' approach to student membership. He thinks that we
need to ensure that students are valued contributing members, as much as
anyone else, and that a first come first served policy does not
necessarily support this need.

This has come up before at the talk I gave last week at the Alternative
Art College. I must admit that there's something I'm not keen on about
it either.  I've just spoken to Mike and we'd like to suggest a revision
to this decision. From the FAQ:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OK6Cikt7n73yEUb-2CEDmutc4wJ_GFPrsolKBXwz5mQ/edit?hl=en_GB&authkey=CObno-MH

----

How are student members selected?

Members who wish to be students at the SSC are asked to write a short
(500w) explanation of why they wish to become students, what they hope
to learn at the SSC and what they can contribute. All members who wish
to be students will be invited to a planned day where they can introduce
themselves, meet other members and learn more about the SSC. By the end
of the day, we think that it will become clear whether the SSC is the
appropriate place for learning for each student.

-----

I think it can probably be phrased better than this... The idea is that
it's somewhere between an open day and an interview without the
formality, and mostly an opportunity for potential students to discuss
their contribution to the SSC and their expectations.

Feel free to agree/disagree and amend that text directly in the FAQ.

Thank you
Joss