[SSC] SSC Constitution

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Sat Apr 16 13:44:20 UTC 2011

Dear Charles,

Please find attached our revised Constitution. We'd be grateful if you
would check it and let us know whether we need to make any further
changes. We intend to meet on the 3rd May at the Mint Lane building,
6pm, to sign it. You are very welcome to attend, if you can.

We have a few questions:

1. We have decided on two distinct membership types: Academic and
Associate Academic. Local students, teachers and supporting members
would be 'Academic' members, while people who contribute more
irregularly, perhaps because they do not live locally, would be
'Associate Academics'. As you know, we hope to have around 40 Academic
members (20 students/20 teachers) and a growing number of Associate
members. Our question is: How does this model affect the section on
Quorum? (24/25/29). In particular, (29) is not at all clear to us. Does
this effectively mean that Quorum is not required? We would like a
statement that ensures that Quorum is always required.

2. Is it necessary to define the membership types, described above, in
the constitution?

3. Could you clarify (32)?

4. Is it necessary to define what we mean by 'consensus decision
making', as this defines our type of democracy and is central to the
governance of the co-op. Are the references to 'consensus' adequate?

5. (35c) seems to allow a potentially large spend by members of the
co-op. i.e. if our annual income is £8K, a decision could be made to
spend over £2K in one transaction by members present at the General
Meeting. How do we provide further safeguards to ensure that spending is
carefully considered?

6. We intend the roles of Secretary, Treasurer, etc. to be rotated
periodically. Do you think it necessary for this to be constituted and
if so, can you suggest how?

A revised version of the Business Plan for your comment will follow.

Best wishes
Joss