[SSC] Introduction.

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Thu Jun 30 07:55:21 UTC 2011

Hi Matt,

I'll have a go at answering this.

As you note, a number of us work in the areas of educational technology
and creative media, so we're well aware of the potential of online
distant learning and are not fundamentally opposed to it. I think on the
whole, we want to create something that has certain constraints built
into it, such as the idea of 20 students and 20 teachers. If we
introduce online distant learning, we open up the SSC to a potentially
much greater enrolment but also a greater administrative burden, too.
We're hoping that by imposing these constraints, other people will copy
us and develop their own re-localised higher education co-ops.

I think that we're all pretty pragmatic though. If an associate academic
member offers to hold a class using Skype or whatever, we'd try to
accommodate it. And of course, all courses will be supported through the
use of online tools such as course calendars, email, shared seminar
notes, etc. We just envisage that the synchronous element of the
teaching and learning will be face-to-face, while the asynchronous
aspects of the course can take place anywhere/any time via the web.

I think that's the plan. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for joining the mailing list and for your interest in the SSC.

Joss