[SSC] Meeting notes 14th April 2011

Joss Winn joss at josswinn.org
Tue Mar 15 16:38:51 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

We had a good, productive meeting at the Mint Lane building last night.
Here are my notes.

Attendees: Mike Neary, Joss Winn, Gary Saunders, David Young, Steve
Thomas (Lincoln MRes (Design)). Interest in critical theory.

Sandie Stratford (Lincoln College), Adult Literacy, Learning
Development, Study SKills. Interest in co-operative venture.

Jennifer Jones, PhD Student/teacher - New Media, Scotland,
Leicester/Birmingham

The Agenda was circulated to this list beforehand and no amendments were
requested:

1. Constitution/governance
2. Business Case/funding
3. Letter to academics
4. Website

1. A draft constitution has been circulated to this discussion list for
comment.

https://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/ssc/2011-February/000015.html

** Please send comments to this list by 31st March. ** Joss will arrange
a meeting in Lincoln with Charles Cooke (LCDA) shortly after this and
aim to have the constitution completed by 10th April.

Sandie suggested that we would benefit from some training in consensus
decision making. Seeds of Change offer workshops on governance issues as
well as documentation:

http://www.seedsforchange.org.uk/free/shortconsensus

http://www.seedsforchange.org.uk/free/train

It was agreed that we should pursue this training. ** Sandie, do you
want to follow this up? **

2. Similarly, a draft Business Case has been circulated to this list for
comment:

https://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/ssc/2011-February/000031.html

** Please send comments to this list by 31st March. ** We will discuss
this at the above meeting with Charles and aim to have this completed by
10th April.

We agreed that a 5 year Business model is preferred so as to provide
some assurance to members of the SSC's sustainability.

** David Young has offered to lead on this. he will also set up the Bank
Account (Co-op). **

3a. It was agreed that we should aim to send an invitation to academics
when we have the Constitution, Business Model and bank account set up
and are aiming for the 14th April.

** Mike/Joss write draft and circulate.** Draft ready by 31st March.
Finished 10th April. Published 14th.

It is hoped that local, regular membership is 40 people (half students,
half teachers) but agreed that we should invite widely and aim high!

Joss suggested that we add EGS names to list, for example:

http://www.egs.edu/faculty/faculty-overview/

** Please add any names to the proposed membership list: **

http://tx0.org/1pz

3b. We discussed student members and agreed that we will not have an
'acceptance criteria' but work on first come first served with a waiting
list.All members must be over 18yrs old so as to avoid any complications
when dealing with minors. ** Gary offered to look at the Equality Act
2010 and advise us on what we need to take into account when admitting
members. **

There were concerns raised about the workload some student might create.

4. ** Jennifer will set up website. ** She has access. Will keep it
simple and functional to begin with. Have it ready for 10th April, ready
for membership invites being sent out on 14th. This will include a way
for members to sign up and pay.

The next meetings are on 29th March and 14th April, 6-8pm. Location TBC.

If you attended yesterday's meeting and have further notes and
clarifications, please do post to this discussion thread.

Thank you
Joss