[SSC] Discussion Document (SSC Curriculum Group)

Richard Hall RHall1 at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Oct 21 16:22:25 UTC 2011

Hi Joss,

Loads of teach-ins and alternatives being discussed in NYC. It's been good fun.

I'm not sure that I am arguing for "something wholly different to mainstream HE" or an opposite. In fact, it may be that we are trying to define some form that is against the neoliberal university as it currently stands, and is a recapture/re-inscription of older, historical forms of the University that have been lost along the way.

My concern is the boundaries. If we argue for a student-defined/negotiated/produced space then we need to be clear about what that means for the curriculum. I guess I am confused about the messages being sent. This may be a function of my missing the last two (?) meetings. That in itself is an issue where we are trying to make decisions across the co-operative, and develop positions sometimes remotely - have I missed something? How do we devolve decisions about issues that are fundamental like the curriculum?

I agree that it needs to be compelling, but I also think we have shifted from our original position. That's fine, but I need to readjust. In broad brush, am I correct then that we will be recruiting 20 students to study he-equivalent programmes but not in HE (in a co-op), where we define a curriculum that is an equivalent of traditional HE, and where certain, more limited elements might be negotiated by students-as-scholars?

TBH I am not sure that I am discussing or suggesting perpetual experiment/experimentation in a laboratory. I am suggesting that we start from the student, within a framework of *values*, possible teaching approaches, content, possible assessment types etc. and where we work with the scholar to align what is proposed for her/him. I fear that too much prescription from the start means that we lose the possibility to overcome the limitations of traditional HE, and will ossify what we are trying to achieve.

Hope you are well - have a good weekend.

In solidarity,

Richard.