[SSC] Discussion Document (SSC Curriculum Group)

David Young lostmoya at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 20:37:36 UTC 2011

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your comments and questions which are a really valuable part of
the discussion. I always look forward to hearing your perspectives on these
important issues and you always make me think and reflect.

I would like to stress again that this curriculum paper - like the "quality"
paper, John's "values" paper and the recruitment notes - is primarily a
discussion piece, rather than a concrete proposal for the direction of the
SSC. It was written partly to prompt precisely the kind of debate that we're
having here and that we had at the meeting today. It doesn't reflect a
change in "message" or a shift in position on behalf of the group. Nor is
the *decision* about curriculum being "devolved".

I share many of your concerns about prescriptive curricula and the danger of
simply reproducing existing forms of HE. The approach to be adopted by the
SSC is I think still to be decided, but it seemed from the discussion
earlier today that the group was starting to converge on a point similar to
your suggestion - ie. within a framework of non-hierarchical, democratic
cooperation, the scholars jointly decide what to teach and learn, and how,
from a range of possible content and approaches that members of the Centre
feel comfortable teaching.

I had to leave early unfortunately so didn't get to see how things turned
out but the aim is for the Curriculum working group to revise this initial
paper in light of the discussion. Personally, I'd be more than happy for you
to contribute to this if you would like to.

All the best,
David.