[SSC] Next meeting May 19th. AGM

Richard Hall RHall1 at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Apr 26 15:49:54 UTC 2012

Thanks Joss. Hope you are well.

I think we need to ensure that we follow point 21, 22 and 25 (and then
depending on quoracy, 29) of the constitution:

21. All General Meetings shall be called giving 14 clear days' notice to
all Members but may be held at shorter notice if so agreed in writing by
a majority of Members together comprising not less than 90% of the total
membership of the Co-operative.
22.All notices shall specify the date, time and place of the meeting
along with the general nature of business to be conducted.
25.Unless amended by special resolution of the Co-operative a quorum
shall be one-quarter of the Membership subject to a minimum of three
Persons.
29. If a quorum is not present within half an hour of the time the
general meeting was due to commence, or if during a meeting a quorum
ceases to be present, the chairperson must adjourn the meeting. If
within half an hour of the time the adjourned meeting was due to
commence a quorum is not present, the Members present shall consider
whether it has the capacity to deal with the business of the meeting.

Note that we will need the annual accounts. When I chaired a CLG and
then an IPS we had a friendly accountant audit these pro bono. Do we
know of anyone not in the SSC who could do this for us?

If we wish to make changes to the Constitution then we need a series of
resolutions preparing, I think, c.f. rule 35(a).

35 The following decisions must be made by resolution of a General
Meeting:
(a) Decisions involving an alteration to this Constitution.

As you note, we need "to think about sub-committees and roles such as
secretary and treasurer." This is especially pertinent as, in order to
follow the Constitution, we need to write/email formally to all members
announcing the AGM, the location and the business to be discussed, at
least 14 days prior. Also, the accounts need preparing. Someone/people
need to do this work.

I would be unhappy about non-members attending the AGM, if I'm honest.
We will be discussing/reviewing the year to-date. I would be happier
about an AGM followed by an open meeting.

In solidarity,

Richard.