[SSC] Bits and bobs.

David McAleavey davidmcaleavey at virginmedia.com
Fri Feb 17 21:54:33 UTC 2012

Dear All,

I trust you are well; I know you are busy.

*Please forward to me any images, photographs, objects… that you associate
with the SSC project. I will collate and deliver to Jamie, as well as
distribute for discussion among our members; I will also make sure they’re
available for our future design studio (date still to be decided).*25.02.2012

The Usher Gallery's education studio is provisionally booked for our OPEN
DAY (photograph to follow). That means that the auditorium, The Collection
education studio and the UG education studio should be available for our
activities/workshops.. can we make that work?.

I asked two friends to comment on our project:

Friend One

Initial thoughts – I applaud what you are doing.  Currently, public
libraries are being decimated.  Pub libs are, rightly, defending their
turf, but are not seen to be taking pragmatic action to be part of the
foreseeable future.  You, on the other hand, are doing so.  You are both
protesting at the reduction in funding, as well as taking steps to keep
your services alive.  I believe, by doing what you are doing, you sustain
something so it will be strong if/when funding returns.

And I admire, too, the innovative, creative thinking behind the idea.  A
lot.
 Here are some comments on the link, patently personal, probably
nit-picking: Front page 1st sentence: lose ‘very special’ 2nd para: lose
‘democratic’ Are you working with Lincoln Business School (the business and
management bit of the university)? Constitution items 5 and 8:  I wonder
what the term ‘natural person’ means?  Is it a legal term? Constitution 16:
do you explain what ‘it it is in the best interests of the Co-operative
that her/his/its membership is terminated’ means? Constitution 29: doesn’t
this contradict 24 and 25? Constitution 32:  I don’t understand this
statement. Constitution 36: should read, ‘not fewer than’ Blog page: always
include the year as part of the date about meetings, events. How is the SSC
going?  Are you getting students?  Do you have information on when classes
or lectures run (or did I miss this bit?)

Friend Two:

this sounds exciting. the concept/aim is great - very intrigued as to how
it's going to work. it really gets my brain going though, all sorts of
questions and queries being sparked in my mind (not just about the SSC).
i've always been interested in education, but recently i've found that it's
developing into more of a passion, though i've not been sure whether that
necessarily translates as wanting to be a teacher purely because of my
negative opinions of the UK's education system and my feeling of inability
when it comes to going about changing it. hope that makes sense. this,
however...incredibly excited.

one more thing, would i be able to attend the open day/social as a
prospective student? selfishly, thinking about what lies in the future for
myself, and studying there is definitely something i'd be very much 'up
for'.

See you on the bus!

Respectfully yours,

David