[SSC] Meeting on Saturday

Sarah Amsler samsler at lincoln.ac.uk
Tue Jan 31 23:57:14 UTC 2012

Hello all,

Thanks, Sandie, for updating us on the details of the SSC meeting this Saturday.

Are we circulating ideas of things to discuss or do on the day?

If so, Sara Motta and I would like to suggest that we spend some time working around some of the contested concepts that have emerged in our discussions about quality to date, and would like to try facilitating that.

I would also like to initiate a regular reading group so that anyone else who is interested in reading materials relevant to our work  outside of our formal meetings -- starting with the things that have recently been published that make reference to and/or analyse the Social Science Centre itself and situate it in relation to other projects. I'll bring a suggested list to get discussion going if anyone else is interested, and can imagine a 'syllabus' that could be developed, followed, adapted or subverted online by people living in different localities. See, e.g. the Really Open University's 'crashing through capital' group here: http://spaceproject.org.uk/; I am also inspired by this Zinn-inspired site (http://www.historyisaweapon.com/indextrue.html) but that is a lot more ambitious than what I am imagining -- a few people, reading and talking about things, on a regular basis.

And I hope we will be able to continuing our ongoing discussion, initiated by Richard and John, about how we explain to the world what we are doing in educational terms, and why.

Look forward to seeing everyone there!

Best,
Sarah

The University of Lincoln - a top performer in student satisfaction, enjoying an unrivalled ascent through the University league tables, set in a dynamic, research rich and vibrant campus in the heart of a great historic student-friendly city.

The University may monitor email traffic data and content in accordance with its policies and English law. Further information can be found at: http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/legal.