[SSC] Positive Politics Podcast #6 - Education

sarah at socialsciencecentre.org.uk sarah at socialsciencecentre.org.uk
Thu Jul 5 23:47:53 UTC 2012

Hi all,

In case you're interested, here is a link to a new episode of 'Positive Politics', which is produced by Joel Lazarus and Neil Neil Howard.
It's an episode on education, with some excellent insight into the politics of the neoliberal university today from another SSC member,
Richard Hall, and on critical pedagogy from Gurnam Singh, who is wonderful on the topic. I also have a stint at the end speaking about the
SSC. As we haven't sussed the question of representation I was at pains to speak in a personal capacity, however imperfect; see what you
think!

http://www.positive-politics.com/podcasts/podcasts/ppp-episode-5-education/

'In this episode, Joel and Neil explore the current realities and alternatives of education, specifically higher education, today. We start
by interviewing Dr Richard Hall about the struggles of life in the neo-liberal university today where everything is reduced to the logic and
interests of money and profit. We then ask Dr Gurnam Singh to help us to think about very different, democratic, empowering, and critical
ways of thinking about and engaging in teaching and learning. Finally, we hear from Dr Sarah Amsler about an exciting new project based in
Lincoln, UK called the Social Science Centre – an attempt to make real the ideas and values of critical pedagogy and popular education.'

Thanks and big up to Joel and Neil, who are putting a lot of time and effort into creating these interesting and educational interventions.
Visit their site for the previous five episodes!

Best wishes,
Sarah