[SSC] reading list

john andrews john.andrews57 at ntlworld.com
Wed Jun 6 08:20:57 UTC 2012

I think Joss's idea is excellent. Here are a couple of further thoughts:

I think the reading list should be just a part of a far more comprehensive resource centre, which includes other aides to learning such as lists of or links to important films, websites and music (more on this one later), and any other educational medium - such as the artwork of a particular painter, say.

You probably know about it, but the open materials section at MIT is pretty impressive:

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

I also think it would help if suggested inputs to the reading list/resource centre included the name of the person suggesting them (and they should be known SSC members), and some sort of basic guide to the relative importance of the suggestion (according to the person recommending it). For example, the reading list that I started compiling a couple of years ago uses a simple star-rating system, so that one star = "interesting", two stars = "important" and three stars = "essential". A book isn't included on the list unless it is at the very least "interesting".

It might also be worth suggesting alternative sources to Amazon, such as the British-based "Betterworld Books", which seems to have a fairly ethical operating policy that resonates more closely with LSSC than Amazon:

http://www.betterworldbooks.co.uk/

Hope that helps.