[SSC] Financial support

roland pascoe rpascoe at phonecoop.coop
Fri May 4 13:19:36 UTC 2012

1.Offers of financial support

I must admit that I share some of Sarah's concerns. Is there a way of
creating a new way of doing things without finding ourselves hamstrung
by financial constraints? How can we harness the support and enthusiasm
that the open day has created without feeling that the core aims of the
enterprise have been weakened.

A response to  this might be for there to be a separate entity of a
charity whose sole purpose is to benefit the SSC. It would allow people
who want to provide financial support to do so without the SSC being
totally dependant any one source of finance.Of course there are many
concerns about the whole idea of "charity" , how can a critical
enterprise continue to develop innovative new organisational structures(
or should that be manifestations?) when it gets some of its funding from
something that stems from one of the oldest and most traditional legal
structures that this country has?

On the other hand is there a way of making the SSC financially secure in
the long run, not so that it becomes a money making enterprise but so
that it can at least offer to pay the cost of services, e.g. graphic
design etc.

I don't pretend there are easy answers but at least we have to think
about them.

Roland