[SSC] 22.09.2012 Meeting. The chair offers a text about thinking about decision making.

Alan Gurbutt agurbutt at socialsciencecentre.org.uk
Sat Sep 29 23:18:52 UTC 2012

Hi David,

The paper on eroding the boundaries of cognition is very interesting. Can we
discuss in more detail at some point?

Embodied cognition through behaviour, body and environmental synergies are
posteriori. It has been noted since the 40s that environments play the
greatest role for learning and that all people are capable of living a good
life subject to appropriate stimulation. I reject the notion completely that
children have innate 'g'. I would like to explore cognition away from
localisation, externally, within groups, as opposed to within a closed
system.

It is noted in the article that motor systems are linked to language. This
chimes with contemporary neuroscience in which the whole brain is involved
with language production and understanding (I will dig out references if we
are to explore in more detail). This knowledge extends to the '100'
languages of learning Michael Fielding talks about which are used in the
Italian school, Reggio Emilia.

I would challenge the notion that social interaction is not proscribed a
priori through exploration, beyond science that is. As a Christian, I often
try to think beyond knowledge. In other words, I try to think about the
concept of consciousness, to ask the question: what is language? What is
language at its lowest possible mathematical level? We can't as yet answer
this question. I think for me, at this moment in time, it's about breaking
down human interaction into its constituent parts, how we interact with each
other. The latter, like the brain, is malleable and, for some, spiritual.

There are more connections in the human brain than there are stars in the
universe. According to Carl Sagan (1977), problems and solutions for
humanity lie within the extra-evolution of the human brain. Breaking down
human interaction into constituent parts could help to reduce the effects of
hierarchical systems. Just an idea!

Best wishes,

Alan