[Ssf] welfare meeting/uni sf, some thoughts

noone noone machinevman at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:20:06 GMT 2004

The more i think about it the weirder the idea of a students only social
forum gets...

There are many issues which affect students like housing etc... but if there
isnt any input by non-students then it ends up with a fiasco where student
flats go up in broomhill and cause trafic nightmares for primary school
students to get to their place of education.

I am not sure if it is in the ethos of a social forum to say "no NUS card no
participation..."

What happens when a student wants to bring up a non-university issue will
they be told "sorry, i think you are looking for the sheffield social forum
- this is the sheffield uni social forum".  Either the remit is so tiny that
the NUS may as well take over or it is so broad that it is useless unless
non-students take part at which point it no longer becomes a student only
social forum.

By creating a students only social forum i feel that they are gettoising
themselves and segregating themselves from the wider public in sheffield and
after the anti-student hostility seen recently near hunters bar this, for
me, is a step in the wrong direction.

I also feel that there are many other groups in the city that could do with
special treatment e.g. elderly, council tenants, shop assistants etc...

There is also a student union, surely if they want an open space to talk
about specificly student stuff then that is the place

from
cuthbert (student)

P.S. apologise in advance for spelling mistakes