[Ssf] Re: [eulsf] skteches of "Ivry" -contribution to UK LSF partiicpant encounter in sheffield

spodulike at freeuk.com spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Dec 3 10:04:03 GMT 2004

Thanks for your contribution Pierre, and Dan also. I was rushed and
somewhat simplistic in dividing social forums along those lines,
however these models do differ quite a bit in their focus and how they
operate - one is what I would consider closer to the idea(lism?) of WSF/
ESF, the other is more a unified campaign group model. However there
are no clear set boundaries, as we well know in Sheffield.

And didn't mean to 'brand', just that I have been organising the notes
from the ESF meeting and Ivry SF came up as a good example of a social
forum which has a facilitation group providing an open space, rather
than the group wholly self-organising. In Sheffield we wobble between
the two, however sometimes the group does not self-organise very well,
so having a group working to facilitate the open space may be better.
The other point is whether the group can call/support an action, or if
that is seen as possibly alienating members of the SF who may not agree/
support the action - another debate we are having in SSF.

And very much agree that "if the 'social forum years' are bound to last,
dynamics of each forum
process will indicate 'best practices'", Cheers,

Jason

> As "Ivry" has been quoted by Jason from SSF , in the preparation of a
UK LSF
> participants encounter ( see mail below)  ,  I  would like to
illustrate
> more a vision  associated to "Ivry"  and step in this exchange , with
two
> inputs
>
> A-a light package of 3 texts contributed during  our London european
LSF
> participants encounter (2 chico whitaker texts on local social forums
and
> another  , and a contribution on "facilitation guideline" )
>
>  B- 6 points about forums , which,  considered  "locally",  with
conviction
> that local expansion and rooting of social forum practice  is a key
issue
> for alterglobalization movements,  might sketch the contours of  the "
social
> forum concept " that has been branded " Ivry" by   Jason
>
> Pierre   - Participant to Ivry social forum and  to WSF methodology
> comission
>

> 1 - forum processes are "organisation" processes; the concept is to
build
> and maintain a "space" ( that is what "facilitation" is about )
where
> [...]

> gone a long  and interesting way
>
> Starting from  a set of leftwing academic conferences meant as an
anti davos
> forum   in 2001  to the WSF 05edition  a "2000 self organized
activities
> forum without any "forum organised " activity  ( decision was taken
in porto
> alegre last november 15th )  and with  4  new "articulation
facilitation
> services"
> 1- consulting everybody in advance about their activity intention,
and
> implementing  spaces of 200 activiy size to have people interested in
the
> same theme live together  and learn by proximity/diversity
> 2- open "space facilitating groups" service making suggestion to
entities
> organising activities , but not having organizing power in the name
of the
> forum
> 3 - a fourth turn every day ( from 1900 to 2100)  reserved for "self
> organized" convergence meetings
> 4 - a service of collecting and "visbilizing" on panels and on a
website
> "the proposals" made in the forum  in their own name by entities
> participating
>
> This forum space organization  changes  have been worked on in
several
> meeting this year  from after WSF04 in Mumbai (april - may - july -
august -
> november by the "open" methodology and content commission of WSF
> international council  ( over 100 people) mandated to do so ; and
acting as
> collective facilitator  for WSF2005 preparation  in connection with
the
> Brazilian Organising comittee
>
> 6- in this new context "self articulation process"  has still a long
way to
> go ,
> -concrete supporting tools ( web site logistics guidelines ,
workgroups)
> for these changes are not yet developped to the level they should be ,

> -everybody is short of time,
> -time is needed for participants to understand get involved and
practice new
> type of interactions suggested in this newly configurated forum space
, and
> also  increase the participatory content of activities they organize
>
> Anyway there is a clear indication  of a new WSF coming ,  and  it
can
> reasonnably be expected that  WSF 05 will have a higher " action
oriented"
> flavor for participants,  being clear that the intensity of the
flavour
> depend on each of them , not on a "organizing committee"  whose
mission is
> the offer the space+ methodology  not to define classify priorities

LSF