[Ssf] Welfare meeting

spodulike at freeuk.com spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Dec 3 11:18:23 GMT 2004

There is one of the smaller rooms at Quaker meeting house which we
could have for £18 for two hours, although that would only be for 10
people.

The lack of cheap meeting space is a pain, specially considering the
churches around and abouts. Could have a look and see what else is
available.

Am happy to press on with this if people are ok, dunno if any more
conclusions were made at the pub (was tired so had to go). There are a
couple of campaigns brewing around this and for now I would like to
concentrate on one,

1: Campaign around disability and carers benefits, attacks on DLA and
so on. This could include advocacy work as well as general information.
This was the focus of the first meeting

2: Campaign around end of the welfare state and attacks on benefits in
general. This could also include advocacy work and involve PCS stuff.
This is a wider campaign which could involve a much wider remit.

These campaigns would benefit from sharing resources, but I think that
as specific agendas they need to be kept seperate. If Dave is ok I
would like to press forward the first and try to facilitate the groups
formation around the disability benefit issue. There was clearly
interest in doing stuff last night so think a meeting would be
worthwhile, anyways, let me know what you think. Should get somewhere
booked by the weekend if going ahead. Cheers,

Jason