[Ssf] Re: [sheffield-anti-war-coalition] Re: FW: Fallujah council motion

2 % adam at diamat.org.uk
Tue Dec 7 11:13:01 GMT 2004

Thanks Jason, Thanks Lists

spodulike at freeuk.com wrote:
> Really good stuff to get it that far! Well done Adam etc. Looks like
> Labour will block any motion on Fallujah whatever,

This appears to be where they are at presently :(

> that said, could we
> arrange a humanitarian type thing?

I think so. It would be helpful to have support from the Council even if
it was just the 'friendship link' token. [1] This token would stand us
in good stead when seeking further support.

I think Peter Moore summed it up well when he wrote:

> I believed the Labour
> amendment to be a pathetic and disgraceful cop out totally unworthy of
> support by anyone who opposes the Iraq war. [2]

However, I suspect that if the Labour Party had been given a free vote
then some of there members would have voted against this amendment.

--
Adam

[1] I accept Peter Moore's point that forming a 'friendship link' with
Fallujah is symbolic, but would dispute that it is a 'meaningless
gesture' for the reason given above.

[2] http://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/ssf/2004-December/000414.html