[Ssf] Ideas for 2005...

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 15:46:16 GMT 2004

On the subject of working together with Christian Aid, WDM, P&P etc,
I've just been to a meeting of the Sheffield Make Poverty History
Group (SMPH) which is just getting going for 2005. This is a one year
focussing of the Trade Justice Movement supported by all the obvious
usual suspects, and I think thats its exactly the sort of thing that
the SSF should be behind.

The intention is to capitalise on our EU and G8 presidencies and put
some real pressure on the Blair government (or in the unlikely event
of a change, whoever it is) to take action on the systemic measures
which can help the Developing World out of poverty, so that means
trade justice, debt alleviation and targetted development aid. The
campaign is launching over Christmas with a high mainstream profile,
supported by the Band Aid song and, apparently, the 'Vicar of Dibley'
Christmas special. Not my idea on either count (!) but I think that we
should use the publicity these will generate as much as possible, even
if there may be a couple of issues around the Band Aid song.

There will be a launch event around the University in Feb, and if
anyone in the wider city wants to run a launch or any other type of
event, Cafod, Christian aid, WDM etc should be supportive. There will
be a glogal week of action in april, 10-16th and the focus of the year
will be July 2 for the 'Make Poverty History' mobilisation in
Edinburgh. There will be transport options of one sort or another for
this event, hopefully subsidised at least for unwaged/students by
Cafod. This is of course the beginning of the gleneagles G8 summit
week, so there will be planty of other stuff going on in Scotland all
week, including an alternatiove to the g8 summit. I think that if we
want to mobilise for the G8, or for the G7 finance meeting which may
or may not still happen in Sheffield post-blunkett, it would be
sensible to keep the SMPH group in the loop. There will be another
meeting of the SMPH steering group in January, which I will try to
remember to forward details of. I will endeavour to attend and report
back to the SSF either way.

Chris