[Fwd: Re: [Ssf] Lat night's meeting]

Kevin Gillan k.gillan at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 16:02:13 GMT 2004

Chris Malins wrote:

> going to be meetings, there needs to be a commitment of someone at least
> to definitely be there, or else we'll just put people off (cf. why its
> so hard to get students involved).

Yep, would suggest we set up a rota of facillitators, changing each
week, looking ahead a couple of months at a time. If it turns out you
can't make your alloted time, fair enough, but find someone else to do it.

> My shoes are still damp.

:(

>> always have to ask them to open it for us, because Sharrow Community
>> Forum never tell the security folk that we've booked it.
And that's just they way they work, they won't unlock it till someone
turns up for obvious security reasons. For future reference, whoever
gets there first should wander down to the executive suite and tell the
security chap that you're from the SSF and he'll let you in.

>> I know this might be a bit tricky, coz Kev's just got a squillion
>> business cards done with the times of the meetings on - but what does
>> anyone else think about the usefulness of these meetings?  If they're
>> attended at all, it's by the usual suspects / the 'core working
>> group', but we don't actually use the space effectively to organise,
>> or to put on anything useful to anyone else.

Except for the launch event, the brighthouse protest, the disability
meetings and the uk local social forum gathering, plus some informal
information stuff that was good. Plus its a good reason for like minded
folk to get together. Plus its a garunteed (or should be) place for
people interested in SSF to come along (like having an office with very
short opening hours).

You are right, we're not using that space effectively at the moment, but
if we are to organise any of the events you suggest for 2005 then we're
gonna find it very useful, if we don't tie ourselves to regular meetings
then I don't see anything getting organised at all, except by very
committed individuals, but even then they don't get the benifit of
chewing over ideas with others, coralling them into helping etc. If
you're at all into inclusiveness or democracy then you probably buy the
idea that no one person has all the right answers. While there are
particularly talented individuals out there, even if they can pull off
the organisational stuff behind a big event, you only get what they want
to see.

(And there's the business cards :) Which have just arrived by the way.)

>> How about we stop having regular meetings?  We could have a go at the
>> Leicester Social Forum model - no regular meetings, just events and
>> meetings as and when, and of various sorts - social events, talks with
>> speakers, working group meetings, etc.

We could tie the facillitation rota into a chance for people with
particular issues they want to discuss to invite particular people to
come along to inform us, with plenty of advanced notice and no
particular demand that it must suddenly become a campaigning issue of
course.

>> We then just continue to use this list to discuss stuff, and maybe
>> once every two months have some kind of convening meeting - becoming a
>> much looser network, in effect, because people would just organise
>> various activities, and try to get others involved!

I think this would probably go the way of the sheffield mayday list,
very useful for a while, then a big bucket of spam, and now very very quiet.

Just my thoughts, can't claim to see the future.

Kev