[Ssf] earth quake..

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Dec 31 13:46:04 GMT 2004

Careful what you say Mr. M.  Please feel free to come to cafe and talk
about the earthquake.  What I objected to was your declaration that it
should be used as a planning meeting for some kind of campaign around
the issue.

I didn't indulge very much over Xmas, Mozaz, as you know.  Even so, I
still don't see what that has to do with this issue.

I'm sorry you think I was propagandising.

Polly Toynbee has been getting e-mails saying that the Earthquake was
the sign of "God's wrath over 1 billion abortions".

And there's been a lot of discussion about its meaning: what kind of God
would allow this to happen?  Most people's response: there ain't one.
Others: this world is a veil of sin; God's purpose is unknowable.
Others - like you and our friend above - that a higher power is wreaking
revenge upon us for straying from the path.

We can talk about this at democracy cafe.  Religion is such a big part
of politics now - and meaning is something  I think most of us think
about.  (Some left wing organisations, I'd say, are pretty much a form
of secular religion anyway - working to cast the scales from the eyes of
the unwashed masses, taking us to an as yet indescribable utopia past
the gates of the destruction of capitalism...)

Perhaps what I'll do is tell the cafe that we're doing this, and we can
put a collection box on the counter and give the money to charity.

Oh, and on charity: if only we did live in a world where a huge fund and
infrastructure was available to help the 5 million likely to start dying
of disease soon - one filled with money from the arms trade.  As it is,
people *will* be helped by any money we raise.  Diarrhorea - a huge
killer- will soon set in.  Water treatment and rehydration tablets are
enormously cheap and can save vast numbers of lives.

So then... come to the Democracy Cafe, and bring your money with you.

Which is the best charity to give it to anyone?

Dan

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.