[Ssf] Fallujah: murder televised on TV

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:45:43 GMT 2004

I think one important problem for media trying to report the news
objectively in a democracy of the British type, is that objective
reporting is often taken to mean that they draw conclusions somewhere
around the middle of popular opinion. The highyl non-objective
reporting in the other papers and news services makes it far harder
for the BBC to look objective. If they were to take the line which we
would like to hear there would be no end to the complaints from the
right wing media and people who think they know what's what, never
mind government, and it would be impossible to maintain a reporting
line of that sort for any significant period.

Not to mention that when government get pissed off with the beeb for
undermining them they immediately start talking about radical
restructuring or privatisation. I think that in the circumstances the
BBC to pretty well. Its unfair to expect them to refuse for instance
to recognise allawi as Prime Minister; although the legality of the
appointment, never mind its more general legitimacy, is questionable,
the BBC as British media are to a great extent bound to follow the
Foreign Office's line in terms of recognizing foreign governments. Not
to say the beeb are perfect, but they could be a lot worse.

Chris

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:08:45 +0000, spodulike at freeuk.com