[Ssf] Fallujah: murder televised on TV

spodulike at freeuk.com spodulike at freeuk.com
Fri Nov 12 13:08:45 GMT 2004

I think one of the problems is the pressure the BBC get put under.
There was an interesting discussion on Radio 5 where they pointed out
that while some people don't like the term 'insurgents' they are
continually fed the li(n)e 'terrorists' by government and military. I
think at the moment the state is winning the media war. Props to http://
www.medialens.org/ for helping people tug the media around.

Mainstream media will always be in a difficult position in that when
finding an 'objective middle way' it ignores that truth is truth and
murder is murder, there's no middle way on that.

Jason

> I also heard two US helicopters got taken out today!
>
> As for Dave's comment I can't say I'm exactly surprised. The BBC are
> constantly lying in attempts to justify the war.
>
> Here's an interesting example from an Indymedia article
>

> BBC is Legitimising Mass Slaughter of Fallujah:
>
> http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/11/300829.html
>
> The BBC's lunchtime news anchor, Anna Ford, opened today's news with
> this solemn announcement:
>
> "Iraq's prime minister, Iyad Allawi, has said he has given American
> and Iraqi forces the authority to clear Fallujah of terrorists."
> (Ford, BBC 1, 13:00 News, November 8, 2004)
>
> Almost everything in this statement is false: Allawi is not the
> legitimate prime minister of Iraq, he is an American-installed stooge.

> Allawi did not give authority to US forces to attack Fallujah - +they+

> are the authority in Iraq, Allawi is their mouthpiece. The US goal is

> not to "clear Fallujah of terrorists"; it is to crush Iraqi
resistance
> to US control of their country.
>

> SUGGEST ACTION...
>
> http://indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/11/300930.html
>
> The fact that such a senior figure at the BBC should reply at
> length shows just how defensive broadcast journalists are when
accused
> of presenting the establishment view of current events. They really
do
> feel they are "good people" providing "impartial" reports (see below).

> This pressure on the media is very important. I would urge people to
> visit the MediaLens website regularly and when you see a news
bulletin
> or current affairs programme which particularly infuriates you (where

> to start?), write to the jounalists and editors involved (MediaLens
> provides email addresses). You will be surprised how often you get a
> reply (but not by how often you do not!). Send copies of all your
> emails and any replies you receive to MediaLens:  editor at medialens.
org.=20