[Ssf] SSF thoughts...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Mon Nov 22 11:52:57 GMT 2004

Allo.

As I came into the office this morning, someone said -

'Can I ask you a question?'

'Er... yup.'

'I'm told you're an expert on ALMOs.'

'Er... nope!'

'Oh, right...'

'But I'm sure I know someone who is...'

Which made me think -

a) Who is an expert, that we know?  What's happening with Sheffield's
Defend Council Housing?

b) This is one thing that SSF could be - if we were to publicise it, it
might read:

'Sheffield Social Forum not only organises a yearly event - we also have
regular meetings where you can bring your issues.  For example, recently
someone wanted to find out about Arms Length Management Organisations.
Through SSF, a meeting was organised where the issues and problems were
discussed, and as a result, a campaign group was formed.'

'Is it political?' Yes and no.  Yes - you won't come to an SSF meeting
and here anyone arguing for privatisation or tax-breaks for the rich!
No - it's not a party, or a campaigning organisation.  Although
campaigns have formed because of the space the SSF facilitates, nobody
will be trying to recruit you!

-------------

Er... whether any of this will happen is another matter.

It's all about building critical mass - I think if someone who is active
in Sheffield comes and asks me, it means there are people out there who
want to find out things.  Where else would they go?  Can SSF provide
something other groups cannot?  Really, that's about looking to see what
hasn't already got established groups looking after it.  E.g. there may
be no point in organising a meeting on the Burngreave masterplan, coz
Burngreave has its own group - but it may still be worthwhile organising
a meeting about regeneration and democracy.

Thoughts?  It might be worth especially thinking about re-vamping the
frontage of the website, so that issues coming from the city can feed
more openly into the process...

Dan

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.