[Ssf] On the Victory Parade...

Kevin Gillan k.gillan at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Oct 29 16:48:42 BST 2004

Squib, n.
1. a. A common species of firework, in which the burning of the
composition is usually terminated by a slight explosion.
   ‘Squibs are straight cylindrical cases about 6 inches long, firmly
closed at one end, tightly packed with a strong composition, and capped
with touch-paper’ (1886 Encycl. Brit. XX. 136).

(OED)

:)