[Ssf] Anyone want to help: 'one sheffield'website stuff

dan at aktivix.org dan at aktivix.org
Wed Sep 8 16:46:05 BST 2004

Allo again,

Remember me ranting about doing a website that had pictures across Sheffield?

If you don't, the idea was to take pictures that looked across the hills of
Sheffield - there are many spots where you can see across from rich wards to
poor.  You'd be able to click on the photo, and go over to that part of
Sheffield.

What would happen then?  Well, it could be anything:  comparative statistics,
walk-through stories - anything that compared different bits of Sheffield.

Well, I've got a camera now!  So I think I might go out on Friday afternoon and
do some piccie-taking and travelling - weather permitting.

I know there was a view that we shouldn't use proprietary software to do this,
but unfortunately I'm a long way from knowing how to code an open access site.
(I've been trying to learn, but it's slow going! I could do with a mentor, but
understandably no-one seems very keen to take on an apprentice...!) Such a site
would be a great idea, so I'll try to work on it.  But I'm not gonna let that
stop me from starting the project.

Anyone want to come and join in?

Dan

p.s. Anyone techie got thoughts on how a site could be developed that would
allow:

1. online defining of hotspots and uploading of piccie links / stories etc to
them?

2. simple graphics facilities - a line between two points of Sheffield being
compared?  I think I could just about manage to work out how to do comparative
stats, but not any graphics stuff.  What might I use to do something as simple
as a line between two points?  Is there anything?