[Ssf] Anyone want to help: 'one sheffield'website stuff

Chris chris at aktivix.org
Wed Sep 8 21:26:46 BST 2004

Hi

On Wed 08-Sep-2004 at 04:46:05PM +0100, dan at aktivix.org wrote:

> Remember me ranting about doing a website that had pictures across Sheffield?
>
> If you don't, the idea was to take pictures that looked across the hills of
> Sheffield - there are many spots where you can see across from rich wards to
> poor.  You'd be able to click on the photo, and go over to that part of
> Sheffield.
>
> What would happen then?  Well, it could be anything:  comparative statistics,
> walk-through stories - anything that compared different bits of Sheffield.
>
> Well, I've got a camera now!  So I think I might go out on Friday afternoon and
> do some piccie-taking and travelling - weather permitting.

Sounds like a plan, the view from the demolished flats in
Burngreave and Hype Park flats, Ringinglow Road, the top
of the Arts Tower and also Meersbrook Park are good... :-)

> I know there was a view that we shouldn't use proprietary software to do this,
> but unfortunately I'm a long way from knowing how to code an open access site.

Well the current SSF wiki site supports thumbnailing I
think and the latest version has some really nice features
for this:

  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Images_and_other_uploaded_files

So I would suggest using the SSF wiki to start with at
least...

Also there is a session on using the Gimp
(http://gimp.org/) on Saturday 1-3pm:

  http://wiki.aktivix.org/AktiviX:AktiviX_II#Saturday

You can use the Gimp on windows also I think... or just
boot a live linux CD and run it from there...

> (I've been trying to learn, but it's slow going! I could do with a mentor, but
> understandably no-one seems very keen to take on an apprentice...!) Such a site
> would be a great idea, so I'll try to work on it.  But I'm not gonna let that
> stop me from starting the project.
>
> Anyone want to come and join in?
>
> Dan
>
> p.s. Anyone techie got thoughts on how a site could be developed that would
> allow:
>
> 1. online defining of hotspots and uploading of piccie links / stories etc to
> them?

I would suggest manually coding images maps using HTML,
this is fairly easy, I could set one up as an example if
you want, see here for the details:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#h-13.6

> 2. simple graphics facilities - a line between two points of Sheffield being
> compared?  I think I could just about manage to work out how to do comparative
> stats, but not any graphics stuff.  What might I use to do something as simple
> as a line between two points?  Is there anything?

Um, like a cross section?

Chris

--
Aktivix -- Free Software for a Free World