[ssf] Re: [matilda] Guiding Principles.

R&A robin_amparo at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 03:51:03 BST 2005

Dear Ben,

> ** We exist as a space where this fear is dissipated and instead our
> differences are turned into possibilities, and everyone who wishes to
> participate and engage with our space, providing they observe our
> ground rules (see below) can do so without the fear of harassment.**

I particularly like the above paragraph. Won't rip your text  apart,
can't find any syntactical or other linguistic mistakes :-)
then i' m not so sure about this introductory sentence:**

"providing they observe our ground rules (see below)"

since you have already provided the ground rules in this previous sentence:
**

> **"Another aim of a social centre is to create a space that is free of
> racism, sexism and homophobia and any other prejudice. In order to do
> this it is important that the space is free of state control, and that
> we organise in a way which respects autonomous movements, "
> **

To make it a bit less solemn or pompous, let's call it perhaps the
Moles' Communiqué... add perhaps a short paragraph or two with quotation
from that Italian philosopher you once quoted, the one who expanded on
the concept of  *moles* and their habitats, i mean

 I would add something brief in that sense, to provide a basic political
"framework" if you want...

*Basic ground rules and quotations could be displayed on a Matilda's
board. Btw would the collective name be "MATILDANS" / "MATILDEANS"/
"MATILDITES"/ or how would we call the inhabitants of the Matilda's habitat?

Yes i think i would try to make it sound less pompous, a bit more exotic
or humorous (with the animal topic it shouldn't be difficult to find
some similes or metaphors. I mean the notion of "social centre" won't be
new to indymedia readers i guess.

Big hugs from

mole amp