[ssf] York Freedom Picnic, in Solidarity with P Sq London Protesters

Graham Martin graham.p.martin at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Aug 10 14:51:40 BST 2005

Hello from York, we're organising this with little warning or resources,
and so in the off chance you folk would like to boost our numbers either
your selves or through other contacts you have, I thought I'd send it
down your way.

2pm Sunday 14th August, 2005
Parliament Street Fountain

In solidarity with those seeking to challenge the new law that infringes
the right to assemble and protest in Parliament Square, London, a group
in York has decided to call a "Freedom Picnic" in York's aptly named
Parliament Street this Sunday.

As most of you will know, it is now illegal to spontaneously assemble in
Parliament Square for a protest.  Already, many have taken part in
attempts to challenge this law, and over 20 have been arrested.  (See
http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2005/08/320283.html)

This means that any group wishing to assemble must ask for permission
from the police, giving the Metropolitan Police the right to decide who
is worthy of the right to protest and who isn't.

This requirement for police support could easily become the beginning of
a slippery slope towards greater Police Interference with the right
protest.  The law is also making a mockery claims that Britain is
working for greater democracy worldwide.

Meet by the fountain in Parliament Street at 2pm.  Bring food, friends
and any ideas you have concerning this law.  If you have a t-shirt which
relates to a campaign which has protested in or around Parliament Square
you might want to wear it.

If anyone wants to make a banner stating opposition to the new laws,
please do so.  We hope to have local press attention, though this will
be a fairly informal chance to meet and enjoy freedom of assembly in
York's most closely named location.

On behalf of others,
Graham Martin