[ssf] a letter to the cops

atw againstthewar at totalserve.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 14:31:04 GMT 2005

See below a letter which Trident Ploughshares got inviting them to a
protest at the Labour Party Conference next year and a suggested
reply.

OPERATION PALISADE 2006

Please address all correspondence to: Superintendent C Tattum. Public
Order Commander, Lancashire Constabulary HQ, Conference Planning
Hutton Hall, Preston, PR4 5 SB. For the attention of: PS Steve
McQuillan.

Telephone: 01772410537        Fax: 01772410542 YourRefSMLPC06 Our Ref:

Trident Ploughshares 42-46 Bethel Street Norwich NR21NR Dear Sir/Madam

LABOUR PARTY SPRING CONFERENCE 2006

You may be aware that next years Labour Party Spring Conference will
be held in Blackpool from Friday 10th to Sunday12th February and as
such preparations for a large scale policing operation are well
underway.

In common with previous years it is anticipated that a large number of
organisations will take this opportunity to voice heir opinions
through marches/ demonstrations during the conference .It is proposed
that marches will be afforded priority on the morning of Saturday 11th
February. Lancashire Constabulary is keen to facilitate lawful protest
and ensure the minimum disruption to the residents of Blackpool and
the delegates attending Conference.

I have responsibility for policing the marches and protests throughout
the duration of the Conference and I am keen to ensure that events
pass off without incident. In order to do this I would welcome the
opportunity to meet with you at a mutually convenient time to discuss
arrangements and answer any questions you wish to ask. I am sure you
agree when I say that the sooner we enter into discussion the better.

I would be grateful if you could contact PS Steve McQuillan who is
dealing with this matter on my behalf. You can reach him at the above
address or alternatively e-mail him if you prefer.

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking you in advance for
your cooperation in this matter.

Yours Sincerely Superintendent Clive Tattum Public Order Commander
E-mail: stephen.mcquillan at lancashire.pnn.police.uk

Dear Superintendent Tattum

Labour Party Spring Conference 2006

Thank you for the unexpected invitation to take part in a
demonstration at the above conference.

We are at this stage not sure whether we will accept the invitation or
not. Our activities do not easily fall into neat patterns of protest
acceptable to the authorities, and, as the artist Banksy has put it,
it is often easier to ask for forgiveness afterward rather than
permission beforehand. Actually, in our case, we don't often get the
forgiveness either.

Real protest, like real sex, is very difficult to do to a timetable,
and, also like sex, very difficult to do satisfactorily in an approved
zone, under the watchful eye of the police. We like the hike of
spontaneity and doing it where and when we want, but at the same time
doing everything we can to avoid frightening the horses.

Trouble is, that conference hall will contain some real dubious
hombres who are wanted round the world for crimes against humanity. I
mention in passing the terrorist suspect from Airdrie, John Reid, who
is believed to have strong links to Al McKayda. That makes the whole
scene a very sensitive area indeed.

But maybe you can help us make up our minds. Would you be able to
facilitate access to the Blackpool Tower?