the Panopticon IS Re: [ssf] some MORE thoughts by Michel Foucault

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Tue Feb 1 01:16:56 GMT 2005

Some more from Twelve Monkeys:

"In fact, very few of us here are actually mentally ill.  I'm not saying
you're not mentally ill, for all I know you're crazy as a loon.  But
that's not why you're here.

"Why you're here is because of the system, because of the economy.
(indicating the TV) There's the TV. It's all right there. Commercials.
We are not productive any more, they don't need us to make things any
more, it's all automated.

"What are we for then? We're consumers. Okay, buy a lot of stuff, you're
a good citizen.

"But if you don't buy a lot of stuff, you know what? You're mentally
ill! That's a fact! If you don't buy things...toilet paper, new cars,
computerized blenders, electrically operated sexual devices... (getting
hysterical) SCREWDRIVERS WITH MINIATURE BUILT-IN RADAR DEVICES, STEREO
SYSTEMS WITH BRAIN IMPLANTED HEADPHONES, VOICE- ACTIVATED COMPUTERS, AND...

"Seriously, more and more people are being defined now as mentally ill.
Why? Because they're not consuming on their own. But as patients, they
becone consumers of mental health care. And this gives the so-called
sane people work! (hysteria again) WHOOO! SHOCK THERAPY! GROUP THERAPY!
HALLUCINATIONS! THERAPEUTIC DRUGS! IGGIDY DIGGIDY DIG! PERFECT! THE
SYSTEM IN HARMONY LIKE A BIG MACHINE...!"
----