[ssf] Power inquiry & Burngreave

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Feb 11 14:43:25 GMT 2005

Hello all,

How the hell are you?  Dan here.  (SSF list - I've written to
undisclosed recipients too, sorry!)

Some time back, discussion of power analysis was much about.  It's been
bubbling away, and over the next three months a lot of stuff is going to
be happening.

1. The Burngreave masterplan process has led to a lot of active (if
implicit) work being done into power analysis - from how to address the
council, to the ways that different government initiatives (New Deal and
Housing Renewal) can be at loggerheads.  Of particular relevance is the
gap between government rhetoric on 'active citizenship' and the power
structures within which 'citizens' must act - the hollow masterplan
consultation being a case in point.

I don't personally think this is anything to do with conspiratorial
intentions.  I just don't think the issues have been focused on, or that
anyone's really trying to join the dots.  (Although the inertia of
millions of pounds of pathfinder money is not dissimilar to a great
bulldozer flattening everything in its path, what choice do local
officials have but to carry it through?)

My research is being stored here -

http://wiki.sheffieldsocialforum.org.uk/SpitalHill

As well as working to actually get local participation in the
masterplanning process, and other work on food strategy and council
decision-making (which is all happening slowly), I'm proposing to the
SSF that a day of workshops / a mini-conference be organised - perhaps
for the end of April - to

a. See what has been learned from the masterplanning process re. power,
participation and governance (eek!)
b. Work out how to continue the work into the new Local Development
Frameworks
c. Have a general day of participation and democracy 'auditing'  (must
find less crap language.)
d. Work out what participation means, and how you really get it.  (e.g.
training, support, slower development, forums that genuinely 'plug in'
to the council's decision-making process, transparent and socially
thoughtful procurement and tendering, etc.)

I'm writing about it now because I've spoken to these people -

http://www.powerinquiry.org/

- who are funded by the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust.

To quote -

"The POWER Inquiry has been set up to explore, through public
engagement, research and a high profile commission, the causes of our
disillusionment and to examine new approaches to political
participation. POWER will act as a forum for the best available thinking
on the sources of political disaffection and will host debate and
discussion across the country, to seek out solutions to this complex and
pressing problem."

I've spoken to them, and they were very supportive of the idea of such a
meeting.  In fact, that's what they're looking for - they want seem keen
to make us 'power ambassadors!'

The disillusionment spoken of can only be made *worse* by using the
rhetoric of active citizens, but then denying people a genuine say in
the outcomes that affect them.

So: fancy meeting to talk about stuff?  IMPACT are experts in this
field!  But a lot has been happening since last we spoke!

I'll leave it at that for now, but please let me know your thoughts.

Also - anyone on this list from Burngreave: whilst this proposed
workshop day will be 'supported by the POWER inquiry / by Sheffield
Social Forum', it also needs to be locally supported.  A lot of work
will need to happen leading up to this, if it's to go ahead - otherwise,
we're just another bunch of people parachuting in, and treating
Burngreave like a big laboratory.  That's not the aim.

By for now, anyhow.

Hope you're well,

Dan

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.