[ssf] Make Poverty History launch

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 15:11:15 GMT 2005

Just to let everyone know that last night's MPH launch meeting at the
university was an enormous success, we had to move it to a bigger
lecture theatre because so many people turned up, and the speakers gave
excellent introductions to the issues we are campaigning on. I think
that the most important ways for us to get involved in this campaign, as
I have maybe suggested before, will be

a) Organising for a Sheffield presence in Scotland over the whole G8
week, rather than just the initial demo. The developmental charities are
running a train from Leeds and at least one coach from Sheffield, but we
should think about helping to mobilise for all of the anti-G8 events and
counter conference.

b) Raising these key issues through Peace in the Park, and Speak Easy.

c) Supporting green groups taking action when the environment and
development ministers come to Derbyshire in June (I think) and using the
opportunity to emphasise the crucial link between sustainable poverty
alleviation and combatting global warming.

but I would love to hear ideas for local actions we could drive
forward/support from anyone else.

Chris