[ssf] Peace in the Park moving & proposal for declaration of non-violence

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Mon Feb 21 12:01:40 GMT 2005

Allo,

1. Peace in the Park moving.  2. Non-violence statement?

For those as didn't pick it up in the report, Peace in the Park is
definitely moving from the 11th June now, because of a clash with
another community festival.  There's even talk of it being moved to the
end of the summer.

But at any rate, it's not going to be the pre-G8 thing it was.  This
leaves a big hole - can SSF fill this?  I think it can.

SSF has to try and somehow work with many oppositions: people who think
it should have nothing to do with direct action, because this only
alienates Sheffield people it's supposed to be *for*, people who think
it's currently an ineffectual liberal talking shop, who want to see SSF
be a space for proper direct action prep - and still somehow at the same
time allowing for some of us to go into schools and get the issues
across to kids.

This is where SSF as a neutral space comes in handy - talking shop or
action planning, both happen in a space SSF provides, but we endorse
neither.

Although one vital thing:

2. As Leeds SF have done, I think we should draft a constitution that
rules out and condemns violence. I know there are people who don't agree
with this (e.g. worker's power, who believe that when the revolution
comes, some reactionary elements of the working class who will be
fighting to defend capital are expendable) I strongly believe we have to
distance ourselves from this - and from the violence that Messrs Bush n
Blair administer.

I also think we should rule out violence against property, in favour of
NVDA techniques that are far more effective, like actually occupying
property.

Equally, though, we could support people arguing about when violence
against property is appropriate.  (And we could ask BBC guy Marco to
record two of em arguing the toss...)

Well...

Dan
----