[ssf] !7th Feb meet report

Dave Havard deacondave at onetel.com
Mon Feb 21 22:20:13 GMT 2005

Josh Davies wrote:

> nice one on the callout chris!
>
> i think we should put tht out ASAP
>
> as for all this talk of sinister left groups wanting to use the social
> forum to mobilise (which is totally nlike the way that the italian
> social forums mobilised for genoa isn't it?) well to be honest, so
> what?  i want the biggest and best protest against the G8 that is
> possible this year, and i think that the social forum encouraging
> people to go to it and acting as a SPACE (that holy word which the
> horizontals use) for people to plan the actions and to NETWORK
> (another of the porto allegre commandments) so that they can be better
> organised would be a good thing.
>
> come june i don't want to be discussing the semaantics behind the word
> 'mobilise' i want to be taking part in action, who here disagrees with
> that?
>
> josh*//*

I don't disagree with the need to mobilise and I quite agree with
creating a space for people to plan actions and to network.

Where you threw me into a panic was your talk of rejecting the PGA
principles.  The reason I joined the Social Forum was that I wanted a
space to do politics differently from the old party politics.  I was
horrified by all the conflict surrounding the London ESF where it seems
to me that people who want to work hierarchically hyjacked what I
consider to be a non-hierarchical movement.

I am not saying we should not work co-operatively with unions and
political parties.  I don't believe the PGA guidelines prevent us from
doing that.  I think they safeguard a space so that it cannot be
hyjacked by anyone with a specific agenda.

We all want to be taking effective action in June.  What we need are
structures that will not prevent any group from taking creative action
but where we can all encourage one another.

That's my two penn'orth !

In peace and solidarity,
D Dave