[ssf] Announcements...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Wed Feb 23 13:55:32 GMT 2005

Hia,

Sorry - I'm getting confused about the announcements list. Sorry if I'm
asking awkward question - please don't be annoyed with me! Just got a
couple...

I thought it was going to be a) approved at SSF meetings, e.g. next
Thursday, before being sent out and b) sent out through the riseup.net
announcement account, which you're not signed up to yet, are you? Who
are you intending to send it out to?

Also: Two thoughts on format -

1. The One World news format is excellent - see example below - because
it has a quick summary before all the full details.

It's not easy to wade through all of the ones in its current format.
This pre-list always leads you in. Each item could be in
what/when/where/contact format. E.g.

THIS MONTH'S EVENT HEADLINES:

 > 'Why don't you?' Sheffield Social Forum open meeting // Thur 17th Feb
7.30pm // St.Andrew's Church Hall, Hanover Way // phone 07968 997861

Again - see below example for what I mean.

2. It's grown into a regional announcement list - which is cool! But
because of this, should we split it into 'Sheffield events' and wider
stuff? Coz I thought it was meant originally to be for Sheffield people
mainly? It's a bloody big job trying to do a regional events list -
worthwhile, but bloody big!

Thoughts on a post-card please.

peace

Dan
----------

OneWorld Daily Headlines
http://www.oneworld.net

OneWorld Daily Headlines brings you news, views, campaigns, jobs
and more from OneWorld.net's global network of partner
organizations working to create a better world.

TODAY'S HEADLINES:

> Something is rotten in the state of Kenya
> EU backs peace dividend for Palestine
> Unemployment down, but job creation weak: ILO
> Are foreign investors attracted to weak eco-laws?
> Globalisation impacting health of people
> Round-Table Discussion – Croatia Towards Sustainable Development
> Teachers Win Significant Victory in Court of Appeal
> Advocates to Dryden: Keep Pushing for Quality Child Care

OneWorld U.K.

SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN THE STATE OF KENYA
(21 feb 2005) Germany and the US have suspended funding of
anti-corruption programmes in Kenya following the resignation of John
Githongo, the government official responsible for Governance and
Ethics and a highly respected figure. This joint statement by leading
civil society organisations in Kenya calls for an end to their
participation in discredited government reform programmes.

From:
Transparency International
http://uk.oneworld.net/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103565/5795/14890

EU BACKS PEACE DIVIDEND FOR PALESTINE
-------------------------------------
(21 feb 2005) As President Bush meets European leaders this week, the
European Union has announced a major aid package to support the
creation of a Palestinian state.
http://uk.oneworld.net/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103557/5795/14890
From: EuropaWorld
http://www.europaworld.org

OneWorld South Asia

UNEMPLOYMENT DOWN, BUT JOB CREATION WEAK: ILO
(21 feb 2005) A report by the ILO says that though unemployment
declined in 2004, the first time since 2000, job creation in 2005
will remain weak.
http://southasia.oneworld.net/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103576/1893/14890
From: InfoChange
http://www.infochangeindia.org

ARE FOREIGN INVESTORS ATTRACTED TO WEAK ECO-LAWS?
(21 feb 2005) The study examines the whether pollution-intensive
industries from rich countries relocate to poor countries with weaker
environmental standards. In order to do so, the study develops and
uses a model of FDI location choice in the presence of
inter-provincial differences in environmental stringency in China.
http://southasia.oneworld.net/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103569/1893/14890
From: ELDIS
http://www.eldis.org

GLOBALISATION IMPACTING HEALTH OF PEOPLE
(21 feb 2005) A study finds out that globalisation and migration of
people to cities in search of work is wreaking havoc on the health of
both those who migrate as well as those who are left behind.
http://southasia.oneworld.net/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103558/1893/14890
From: id21
http://www.id21.org

OneWorld South East Europe

ROUND-TABLE DISCUSSION – CROATIA TOWARDS SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
(21 feb 2005) The Croatian Jounalists Association (HND), ODRAZ and
the Institute for International Relations (IMO) organize a
round-table discussion on sustainable development in Croatia. The
event will take place at the Great Hall of the Journalists House in
Zagreb, on Thursday, February 24.
http://see.oneworld.net/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103555/3260/14890

OneWorld Canada

TEACHERS WIN SIGNIFICANT VICTORY IN COURT OF APPEAL
(21 feb 2005) Teachers in B.C. are celebrating a landmark Court
ruling. The B.C. Court of Appeal has affirmed that teachers can
grieve violations of the class size numbers in the School Act. The
government had previously stripped class size limits from the
teachers' collective agreement, resulting in larger classes and less
individual attention for students.
http://www.oneworld.ca/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103577/983/14890
From: British Columbia Teachers' Federation
http://www.bctf.ca

ADVOCATES TO DRYDEN: KEEP PUSHING FOR QUALITY CHILD CARE
(21 feb 2005) Child-care advocates monitoring federal/provincial
talks encouraged the federal government to hold strong and insist on
conditions for its child care funding. At the same time, they want
the provinces to quit stonewalling and come to the table with plans
to turn their substandard services into quality child care. Watch the
coverage:
http://www.oneworld.ca/link/gotoarticle/addhit/103581/983/14890
From: working TV
http://www.workingtv.com

Looking for a job in a charity or non-profit? Visit:
http://www.oneworld.net/job/list/professional/

The articles for the OneWorld Daily Headlines are compiled by
the following OneWorld editors around the world. To read all the
stories from each center, please visit their website.

Africa Caroline Nenguke http://africa.oneworld.net
Canada Lila Train http://www.oneworld.ca
Finland Eija Palosuo http://fi.oneworld.net
Latin America José Pablo Molina http://amlat.oneworld.net
South Asia Rajiv Tikoo http://southasia.oneworld.net
Southeast Europe Dejan Giorgievski http://see.oneworld.net
UK Bill Gunyon http://uk.oneworld.net
US Jeffrey Allen http://us.oneworld.net

We welcome your feedback. Email your comments and suggestions to
editors at oneworld.net.

OneWorld Daily Headlines is a service of OneWorld.net, a global
network of over 1600 human rights and sustainable development organizations
http://www.oneworld.net/section/partners

Work for a non-profit organization and interested in having
your news included in the OneWorld Daily News? Find out
how your organization an become a OneWorld partner.
http://www.oneworld.net/article/view/32244/

© OneWorld.net, 2005. Redistribution of this email publication
is encouraged if it includes this footer.

To subscribe to/unsubscribe from this list, please visit: