[Ssf] [Fwd: [uksocialforum] Invitation to Sheffield SF]

mud adam at diamat.org.uk
Mon Jan 17 18:20:53 GMT 2005

Hi List,

Dan and I received an off-list email from a lad from France who came to
a SSF meeting back in November.

He is interested in coming again, and we've told him that we intend to
meet on Thursday 3rd and Thursday 17th February ( Venue to be decided ).

This process lead to a discussion between Dan and I about the following
point which we thought would make sense to continue on list:

14/01/05 14:59 Dan wrote:

> Not sure who sent it [1] - but I don't know why we would be inviting people
> from outside of Sheffield to this particular meeting...?
>
> If we're going to invite people from out of town, shouldn't we arrange
> something for them to come to?  I thought this meeting was supposed to
> be an SSF planning meeting?  Why would they want to come to that?

IMHO I think we should advertise our meetings as being Public Meetings
and encourage as many folk to come as we can. Whether they are from
Sheffield or elsewhere is of little relevance to me.

I take Dan's point however that newcomers, especially folk from out of
town, may not find our meetings of any interest [2]. I think may be the
"Blue Moon" Social Night would be a nicer format to meet new people.

--
mud

[1]

[2] I'm not sure to be quite honest if I will find this coming
Thursday's meeting of any interest. There seems to me to be a rake of
agenda items that IMHO would be better progressed on-list.

Don't get me wrong, I like seeing you all an'all ... but if it turns out
to be just listening to folk saying stuff that could be better expressed
in 3 or 4 sentences on-list then I for one won't find this any joy.