[Ssf] Reg Vardy & the Evangelists

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Jan 20 12:11:31 GMT 2005

For anyone who missed this story about local people stopping the opening
of a creationist, evangelical Christian 'academy' in Conisbrough -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1389500,00.html

It's interesting, I think, when we're thinking about what political
action means.  I wonder: maybe a street party relating to a particular
issue.  Maybe we could have one in Burngreave?  Or would that just piss
everyone off?

It all sounds horribly familiar, for anyone who's been following events
in Burngreave... e.g.:

"The local consultation process was squeezed into less than a month,
taking in a spate of meetings between staff, parents and interested
Thorne residents, and representatives of both Doncaster council and the
Vardy Foundation. A one-page "questionnaire" was distributed, with no
mention of the Vardy Foundation, and only two sentences: "I support the
proposal to establish an academy in Thorne" (followed by boxes labelled
"Agree strongly", "Agree", "Disagree" and "Disagree strongly") and "I
have the following additional comments". Little more than 70 were sent
back to the council, which subsequently announced that 87% of their
respondents supported the plan. Some of Thorne Grammar's teachers got
the impression they were witnessing a fait accompli. "At the meetings,
we were allowed to ask questions with no comeback, and that was it," one
told me. "There was never a real way of registering any dissent. And
anyway, we were operating in the dark: a lot of people didn't even know
what academies were."

But!  It didn't happen!  Even though the sham-of-a-consultation process
had officially finished, there was enough local resistance to stop it...

Dan

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.