[Ssf] Today's exercise...

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:21:18 GMT 2005

Translation from a mad scientist:

Peter Hall has divided schemes from the 90's to help housing estates
into two categories:

	a) inward-looking
	b) outward-facing.

The inward-looking schemes encourage a self-reliant community, the
outward facing schemes tries to use links to nearby successful areas.

Depending on whether schemes are assessed in the outward-facing
economically focussed fashion, or by consultation and focus on
residents, different conclusions will be reached.

The inward-looking schemes will want to make the estate nicer, and
invest in staff and resources. This is unlikely to help neighbouring areas.

Outward-facing schemes will try to get a better class of people to move
in, by minimising the need to engage within the existing community. HMR
does this.

A neighbourhood in the middle of lots of other crappy estates is in the
shit, so instead of investing in it we should boost the local economy.
The locals will want an immediate investment and improvement in the
area, rather than all the money being spent on creating jobs for the
sort of people who currently don't live there.

HMR Pathfinder programs want to even out economic differences between
areas, while New Deal for the Community programs want to improve an area
for the community that actually lives there, so that it isn't such a
crap hole anymore.

Maybe we should try to make places nicer AND improve their economies.

It will be hard to both improve communities and their economies, if the
economic improvement is based on knocking the community down and
building expensive houses for rich guys.

There's my translation, I think it hits the salient points. Any
thoughts. Do I get a gold star?

Chris