[Ssf] Today's exercise...

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Jan 20 12:30:23 GMT 2005

Very Good, Malins!

A gold star and a smartie, I think!  You get right down to the point of
it, and manage to make it sound like english!

Here's one of my previous translation efforts, just for comparison -
this time, from some Burngreave Area Panel minutes - there are two
stages of cutting away the chaff -
/
Q: “What were the implications for the owners of the buildings within
the area marked by a blue line on the plans exhibited? The questioner
was one of a number of people who had invested in renovating these
buildings, which had been in a derelict state, and he personally did not
wish to relocate his business./

/“Maria Duffy indicated that ... there were packages of compensation
available and they would differ according to whether the owner of the
business also owned the property or whether the business operated out of
the building.  She again re-emphasised the City Council's commitment to
meet with all local businesses at a future meeting to work through the
financial packages that may be available.”
/

/“The Chair emphasised that the City Council did value the traders and
community groups operating in the area and that these were draft
proposals which were subject to consultation. However, the latest
proposals had been drawn up from the previous rounds of consultation and
it was the community who had expressed a desire to establish a
supermarket on this site as opposed to the Planning Officers previous
proposal that it be located on the site of the former Ellesmere Elderly
Persons’ Home, situated further up Spital Hill.”/

It's difficult to get the meaning of these minutes without reading them
five times. You get to the end of a paragraph and realise all you can
remember is 'beeeeeep'. So here's summarising round one:

/“We value everyone’s participation. These are only draft proposals.
However, these plans have already been through several consultation
stages, and the fact that you only just found out about the plans
doesn’t change the fact that the community wants them to happen.
Furthermore, we’ll compensate you once we’ve knocked the place down. But
they’re draft proposals.”/

Now, firstly – does the consultation process that has happened actually
equal ‘the community backs the plans?’ Or does it just mean that many
boxes have been ticked? (Including the one that said ‘do you want a
supermarket?’ but didn’t include ‘do you want most of Spital Hill to be
demolished?’ Some pernickety people might say the latter was the more
important question…)

Perhaps we can summarise even more:

/“We’re not going to knock your house down. These are just draft plans
to knock your house down. Well… yes, we are going to knock your house
down. I’m sorry that you’ve only just found out. But all your neighbours
think it’s a great idea!”
/

/Dan
/