[ssf] 16th Febr: ID campaigners offer participation

Chris Malins chrismalins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 17:06:19 GMT 2005

I understood that there was an exciting variety of left and right wing
types involved with no2ID. That Guy Taylor has been sent in is a clear
sign that the SWP are eying it up to expand their influence, but that he
is only Local Groups coordinator may be a good sign. I don't know about
the others on the committee.

I think that this is an important campaign, and if anything too
important to allow the SWP to hijack and destroy. THere are only four
ways to deal with this: 1) build a string independent local network of
id campaigners around the country who are able to break away from the
leadership when the coup happens. This is non-ideal.
2)Get ourselves onto the organising committee and turn it inot an SSF
front. This may not be easy.
3)Create a new anti-ID cards campaign without a London based command
structure, again with string local support.
4) Blow up the SWP national conference. This is my preferred option.

Seriously, I don't think that there's too much we can do. Ironically,
the best way to maintain campaign independence would be to strengthen
the links with libertarians and small-governemnt proponents in the Tory
party and the rest of the relative right to ensure that the overall
no2id message stays centrist (and thus may appeal best to the
mainstream, and actually ahieve a victory rather than recruit people and
sell papers). All of this revolves to a great extent though around
London, and the public face nad statements of the movemnet. If the SWP
decide to act to prevent popular involvement in these decisions, there
is an uphill struggle ahead of us.

Chris