[ssf] TV

Chris Taylor mrclumpit at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 21:08:42 GMT 2005

Absolutely - I haven't had a TV for about 5 years, and although it doesn't free me from the corporate tentacles, I'm convinced it makes me less easy to control. People seem to be terrified of having time to think these days - hence the perceived need for games on your mobile phone to keep you occupied during a 10 minute bus journey.

Perhaps we need to look at ways of competing with this kind of thing.

Dan <dan at aktivix.org> wrote:
Some old stuff. Relevant for the US; I've failed to find British stats.

"TV turns out to be, for individuals, the single most consistent
predictor of civic disengagement. The television, by one estimate, took
up 40% of the average American's free time in 1995, up by a third since
1965. Americans, on average, watch four hours a day."

"Sociologist Robert Putnam’s conclusion is that an hour of TV equals a
10% reduction in civic activism."

(Interestingly, the effects of the content of TV and viewing habits is
clearly separated from TV per se. A comparison of news-watching
audiences to soap-opera watching ones showed the former to be positively
correlated with civic engagement.)

:)