[ssf] TV

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Thu Jan 27 23:21:05 GMT 2005

Aye - it's the same with cars: here's some more from my radical liberal
sociologist hero, Robert Putnam:

The average American spends 72 minutes every day driving.

"We spend measurably more of every day shuttling alone in metal boxes
among the vertices of our private triangles" - this private triangle
being from work to home to out of town shopping centre. According to
Putnam's statistical analysis, this means that "each additional ten
minutes in daily commuting time cuts involvement in community affairs by
10%."

Whether pretending you're doing something by spending x hours a day
writing e-mails about the state of the world = more or less
engagement... hmm.

Dan
----
p.s. Someone please tell me if I'm spamming this list to death with my
every random thought...