[ssf] Fortress continent

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Mar 4 13:00:35 GMT 2005

Hey up,

This article may be of interest then: from a while back now, but still
spot on:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,875636,00.html

"What we are seeing is the emergence of a genuinely new new world order,
one far more Darwinian than the first, second and third world. The new
divisions are between fortress continents and locked-out continents. For
locked-out continents, even their cheap labour isn't needed, and their
countries are left to beg outside the gates for a half-decent price for
wheat and bananas.

"Inside the fortress continents, a new social hierarchy has been
engineered to reconcile the seemingly contradictory political priorities
of the post-September 11 era. How do you have airtight borders and still
access cheap labour? How do you expand for trade, and still pander to
the anti-immigrant vote? How do you stay open to business and closed to
people? Easy. First you expand the perimeter. Then you lock down."