[ssf] [Fwd: Mexico Speakers Tour]

Dan dan at aktivix.org
Fri Mar 4 13:20:52 GMT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Mexico Speakers Tour
Date: 	Fri, 04 Mar 2005 12:40:19 +0000
From: 	Helen Gilbert <hef00 at hotmail.com>
To: 	mea01djp at sheffield.ac.uk, poa02csd at shef.ac.uk,
alexblenkinsop at hotmail.com, dmhale at hotmail.com, dan at aktivix.org,
j.harkness at shef.ac.uk, k.gillan at shef.ac.uk, matt_myers at lycos.co.uk,
stickemupbuster at hotmail.com, robjnc at yahoo.co.uk, rosehodgson at lycos.com,
mobilemidwife at hotmail.com, tom at idiolect.org.uk
CC: 	pbiuk at gn.apc.org

Hello

I am contacting you on behalf of Peace Brigades International (PBI) with an
exciting proposal for an event/talk in Sheffield. . .

PBI is a humanitarian non-governmental organisation that works to assist
human
rights defenders by providing protective accompaniment to individuals
and
organisations who request our support, enabling non-violent conflict
resolution. We currently work in Colombia, Guatemala, Indonesia and
Mexico.

In April we will be visited by a human rights activist from Mexico -
Tita
Radilla. She is the vice-president of AFADEM - an organisation made up
of
families of the detained and disappeared who have been protesting to
governmental institutions about the disappearences since 1978. PBI is
hoping to use the opportunity of having her with us to organise a
programme of
events and talks to raise awareness of the human rights situation in
Mexico.

I'm wondering whether there would be any interest for organising an event in
Sheffield - it could be linked in with Peace in the Park, People and Planet,
Social Forum(?), Make Poverty History . . . This is a very exciting
opportunity. Please let me know asap if you see any possibility for making
something happen. The dates I anticipate her being available are 18th - 22nd
April 2005.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Helen Gilbert
(PBI Outreach worker)

--
07968 997861
0114 2412723

The true meaning of life is to plant trees,
under whose shade you do not expect to sit.