[ssf] Call Out for Volunteers by the g8 legal support group

Philippe Deux hjdsmdr at mixmail.com
Sat Mar 12 01:15:59 GMT 2005

This is transcribed:

--------------------------

Firstly, we would like to introduce ourselves. We are the G8 Legal Support
Group and we will be providing legal support at the anti G8 summit in
Gleneagles, Scotland around the week of 2nd to 9th July. Although we are
part of the "Dissent" Network, we aim to provide legal support for all the
demonstrations & protests planned against the G8 meeting.
During this time we hope to be staffing a legal office 24 hours a day;
staffing a legal information desk at the convergence centre (where most of
those traveling to Scotland to demonstrate against the G8 meeting will be
staying); providing legal observers at all activities planned against
the G8
summit; helping out those arrested both at police stations and their
initial
court cases; helping those detained trying to get into the country; and
providing transport for those released from police stations at strange
times
of the night. To do all of this we need a number of volunteers during the
whole time and we are expecting to be very busy.
At the moment, there are regular meetings both in Scotland and London to
plan how we can provide adequate legal support over this period. We also
attend and report back at the national Dissent meetings. The G8 Legal
Support Group was initially formed by people involved in legal support at
Faslane in Scotland and the London-based Legal Defence and Monitoring
Group.
However, as we expand different people are getting involved.

We are writing/emailing you, as you have either contacted us wanting to
know
more about what helping the G8 Legal Support Group involves, or you have
agreed to help out over the week of events. Below are details of what would
be expected of you and what we can offer. It would be good if you could let
us know what you are prepared to help with - i.e. number of days; type of
work you can do; do you have a driving license; etc?
Firstly, we want to say that this will NOT be a holiday. Anybody who agrees
to volunteer will be expected to fulfill what they said they could help
with. There are a lot of events planned against the G8 fiasco and we
want to
have legal observers at all of them to support those detained or arrested.
We need to staff an office throughout the night and be at police stations
when people are released. If the polices previous record is anything to go
by, this will often be very late at night and early in the mornings. We
need
volunteers able to drive and get those released late at night and/or in the
middle of nowhere by the cops, who can't get back to their accommodation.
So, we need volunteers to help throughout the day and/or night.

Obviously we don't expect people to work 24 hours a day and we know not
everybody will be able to help out for the whole week. We hope you will
commit to helping quite a lot, but if all you can give is one day that's Ok
as well. It is extremely important for us that we know what you can
offer in
the way of days you can help out. Hopefully, we can also have a bit of fun
while we are in Scotland and provide a really useful resource to
demonstrators.

It must be stated though - if you are legal observing an action,
demonstration or protest that is ALL we would be expecting you to do for
that event. You CANNOT take your legal observers ID off any point through
the demo and suddenly become a demonstrator - whatever the provocation or
excuse. This will put ALL other legal observers at risk of arrest or attach
from the police and the state. We would also come down heavily on ANYBODY
who used being a legal observer as cover for other activities they were
connected with either as a protestor, a journalist or a cop.
the events and we will need tens of thousands of legal information/bust
cards over the week. There is also the office and its costs we need to pay
for. One way people can help out before the G8 summit is to put on benefit
events and give us the profits. Or, do you know anybody who would donate
money to us? We accept cheque or cash. Cheques should be made out to "LDMG"
and sent to LDMG, c/o BM Haven, London WC1N 3XX.

So, after all that, are you still up for helping? We really need others
involved, as do all those who may potentially be arrested/held. Can you
email me at woodywood2 at blueyonder.co.uk to let me know:

1                      What you think you can help out with and how many
days (hopefully all) you can help at. People with kids, some
disabilities or
who can't risk being arrested are opting for doing office work/driving for
example.

2                      Can you drive and would you be a driver? You will
need a clean driving licence for two years and be over 30 (specified by
most
insurers).

3                      Can you speak any other language fairly fluently
(please specify).

4                      Can you raise any money for the funds?

5                      Can you publicise we need observers in your area? We
have posters and an article for activist type newssheets, websites, etc.

6                      Anything else you can think of?

If you want to get involved in the day to day organizing of the G8 legal
Support Group please let us know and we will add you to the internal email
list. But, you will be expected to take on tasks between now and July if
you
are added to it.

If the above hasn't put you off and you can agree with our principles
below,
PLEASE contact us soon.

PRINCIPLES

1                    We give unconditional support to anyone arrested as a
result of participation in protests or actions against the G8. We are not
judge and jury of the validity or otherwise of the tactics of protestors.

2                    The role of legal observer is to observe, gather
evidence and witness.

3                    Legal observers will not mediate between protestors
and
the police or negotiate with the police.

4                    Legal observers are volunteers with no special legal
status.

5                    Legal observers are not necessarily trained lawyers
and
the advice given by legal observers is confined to the advice given by the
group as a whole.

--

Please, never despise translators. They are the mailpersons of human
civilisation.